Dozens of Britons who lost loved ones and survivors of a terror attack at a Tunisian resort have reached a settlement with the travel company Tui, after launching a multimillion pound compensation case.
The settlement for an undisclosed amount was reached “without admission of liability or fault”, according to a joint statement issued by the operator and a law firm acting on behalf of families, who had alleged that there was poor hotel security at the resort.
At an inquest in London in 2017, legal counsel for families who lost loved ones suggested that lives could have been saved if Tui had carried out a security audit before the attack. However, a judge who ruled that the 30 Britons who were shot dead had been unlawfully killed said little could have been done to prevent the massacre.
The families then launched civil claims for damages estimated at £10m from Tui, claiming that warnings of an imminent terror threat were ignored.
A joint statement issued on Thursday from Tui and the law firm Irwin Mitchell, which is representing more than 80 people, said: “The tragic events of 26 June 2015 in Tunisia shocked and devastated us all and changed the lives of those affected for ever.
“Tui has always expressed heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those caught up in the terrorist attack that day and continue to extend deepest sympathy.
“The claimants have fought tirelessly to understand how the attack happened and to seek to ensure that lessons have been learned so that other families are not affected by similar tragedy.
“Tui has worked collaboratively with the claimants and their representatives, Irwin Mitchell, to reach a settlement without admission of liability or fault and in recognition of the wholly exceptional circumstances of the case, and in the hope that it will go some way to assisting the claimants.”
The statement added: “Tui appreciates how difficult it must be to move on from such a horrific incident but hopes today will provide the opportunity for those affected to start to do so.”
Tui, which owns Thomson Holidays, through which all 30 of the British victims booked their trip, came under significant scrutiny at the 2017 inquest over its handling of travel advice for Tunisia from the Foreign Office.
The inquest at the Royal Courts of Justice was told that some of the survivors of the mass shooting said they were told by Tui travel agents before they travelled that the north African country was “100% safe” and were not shown official travel advice warning that the threat from terrorism was high.
The first British package holidays to Tunisia resumed in 2018. FCO travel advice on the country currently states the Tunisian government has improved protective security in major cities and tourist resorts.
It adds: “Terrorists are still very likely to try to carry out further attacks in Tunisia, including against UK and Western interests.”