Streatham attack victim feared he would bleed to death, court hears

A man wounded in an attack in Streatham in south London on 2 이월 2020 overheard a paramedic say “he’s not going to make it” after he was stabbed in the side by the recently released convicted terrorist Sudesh Amman.

The inquest into Amman’s death, taking place at the Royal Courts of Justice, heard that the man feared he was going to bleed to death after the attack in Streatham High Road.

Amman stole a 20cm kitchen knife from a hardware store and began stabbing people, while under surveillance by nine officers. In a 62-second rampage Amman injured a man and woman. He was shot dead by police in the street at close range.

Sections of the two victims’ police statements were read to inquest jurors on Thursday. Their names were not mentioned during the hearing.

The man told police: “I felt something on my righthand side, blood was spurting out and hitting my hand. I couldn’t breathe when the knife went in.” He said he was helped by two passersby, Katherine Day and Thomas Baldwin, who gave first aid. “They cut off my clothes, they saved my life. I will never forget.”

그는 덧붙였다: “It really hurt when they put me on the ambulance bed. I heard someone say: ‘We can’t drive, he’s not going to make it.’ Then I don’t remember anything until the hospital … Thank God for the doctors or I would be dead.”

The man said he suffered five wounds including those from surgery, and could not lift things or turn his head properly following the stabbing.

The female victim was pushing a bicycle just ahead of Amman when he ran out of the shop with the knife.

She told police: “I suddenly felt pain in my right shoulder towards my upper back. I took about four steps forward when I heard people shout: ‘She’s been stabbed.’ Due to the pain I dropped my bike on to the floor. As I went into the kneeling position on the pavement I heard shots. I was scared because I thought they would shoot us, so I hid behind my bike.”

The woman, named in reports in the aftermath of the attack as Monika Luftner, sustained a 2cm wound to her back. She was sent home from hospital later that day.

Twenty-year-old Amman had been released from Belmarsh prison only 10 days earlier after serving part of a 40-month sentence for terror offences, despite pleas from police and MI5 for him to be detained longer amid concerns that he remained a danger to the public.

Police stepped up security against Amman after he was seen purchasing items for a fake suicide belt, which he wore during the attack.

The inquest was adjourned until Friday.

댓글이 닫혀 있습니다..