Sinéad O’Connor’s 17-year-old son has died, two days after he was reported missing.
The musician shared the news on social media, writing that he “decided to end his earthly struggle” and asked that “no one follows his example”.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, O’Connor tweeted: “My beautiful son, Nevi’im Nesta Ali Shane O’Connor, the very light of my life, decided to end his earthly struggle today and is now with God. May he rest in peace and may no one follow his example. Mi bebé. I love you so much. Please be at peace.”
Police confirmed the news of the teenager’s death on Saturday.
Shane O’Connor had been missing since Thursday, with the Gardaí launching an appeal for his whereabouts. The 17-year-old was missing from Newbridge, County Kildare, and was last seen on Friday morning in the Tallaght, Dublín 24 area, the Gardaí said. In the appeal, which was reissued on Friday, officers said they were concerned for his welfare.
En el momento, the singer had posted heartfelt messages on social media asking her son to contact her. “Shane, your life is precious. God didn’t chisel that beautiful smile on your beautiful face for nothing,” she tweeted.
“My world would collapse without you. You are my heart. Please don’t stop it from beating. Please don’t harm yourself. Go to the Gardai and let’s get you to hospital.
“This is a message for my son, Shane. Shane, it’s not funny any more all this going missing. You are scaring the crap out of me. Could you please do the right thing and present yourself at a Gardai station. If you are with Shane please call the Gardai for his safety.”
The Gardaí have confirmed that the search for the 17-year-old has ended. “Following the recovery of a body in the Bray area of Wicklow on Friday 7 enero 2022, a missing person appeal in respect of Shane O’Connor, 17 años, has been stood down,” a spokesperson told the Irish Mirror.
The musician was sent messages of condolences on social media, with Cáit O’Riordan, formerly of the Pogues, tweeting: “I’m so sorry Sinéad.”