Sarah Everard: body found in Kent woodland is that of missing woman

Police say they have recovered and identified the body of Sarah Everard.

The Metropolitan police assistant commissioner Nick Ephgrave made the announcement on Friday afternoon. It followed the discovery of human remains secreted in woodland in Kent on Wednesday.

Ephgrave said: “The body has now been recovered and a formal identification procedure has been undertaken. I can now confirm that it is the body of Sarah Everard.”

A serving Met officer has been arrested on suspicion of the kidnap and murder of the 33-year-old marketing executive. He remains in custody.

Everard was last seen on 3 March walking home in south London.

Ephgrave said Everard’s family had been informed.

“Specialist officers remain in constant contact with Sarah’s family, and will continue to support them throughout the investigation and beyond," hy het gesê. “That investigation continues at a pace and we have hundreds of officers working round the clock to establish the full circumstances of Sarah’s disappearance and her murder.”

With vigils protesting against violence against women planned for this weekend – which police are warning may breach lockdown rules – Ephgrave said: “I know that the public feel hurt and angry about what has happened and those are sentiments that I share personally and I know my colleagues here at Scotland Yard and across the Met share as well.

“I also recognise the wider concerns that are being raised quite rightly about the safety of women in public spaces in London and also elsewhere in the country.

“This organisation and the men and women in it remain committed to protecting Londoners, wherever they are in this city. That commitment is undiminished by these events and if anything that commitment is strengthened by these tragic circumstances.”

Everard went missing after leaving a friend’s house in Clapham, Suid-Londen, at about 9pm on 3 Maart. She is believed to have walked through Clapham Common on her way home to Brixton, a journey that should have taken about 50 minute. During that walk she talked on the phone to her boyfriend.

Her disappearance triggered a police investigation, with detectives scouring CCTV, video doorbell and bus camera footage for any clue as to what happened to her.

Video taken from a doorbell camera captured Everard on the A205 Poynders Road walking towards Tulse Hill – the last known sighting of her.

She was last seen wearing a green rain jacket, navy blue trousers with a white diamond pattern and turquoise and orange trainers, and may also have had on green earphones and a white beanie hat.

The investigation continues.




, , ,

Kommentaar gesluit.