Prince Andrew allowed to review settlement between Virginia Giuffre and Jeffrey Epstein

Prince Andrew will have a chance to review a 2009 settlement agreement that he hopes will shield him from a civil lawsuit accusing him of sexually abusing a woman two decades ago, when she was underage.

In an order made in New York on Wednesday, US district judge Loretta Preska granted permission for Andrew’s lawyers to receive a copy of the confidential agreement between the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and Virginia Giuffre.

Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager, claims he vehemently denies.

Giuffre has also accused Epstein of abuse.

Epstein’s estate had agreed to letting the Duke of York, who is also the Queen’s second son, review the agreement, but court approval was needed.

The prince, 61, has not been charged with crimes, and has “categorically” denied Giuffre’s claims against him.

Andrew Brettler, a lawyer for the prince, said in an email that he expected to receive the agreement soon from Giuffre’s lawyers.

At a hearing last month, Brettler told the judge overseeing Giuffre’s lawsuit that he believed the agreement “absolves our client from any and all liability”

Lawyers for Giuffre did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

David Boies, one of the lawyers, said in a court filing last month that he believed the settlement was “irrelevant” to Giuffre’s case against Andrew.

The prince faces a deadline of 29 October to formally respond to Giuffre’s lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.

Epstein, a registered sex offender, killed himself in a Manhattan jail in August 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges. È stato 66.

I commenti sono chiusi.