Man arrested by police investigating Manchester Arena terrorist attack

Detectives investigating the Manchester Arena terrorist attack in 2017 have arrested a 24-year-old man.

The suspect was detained on Friday at Manchester airport on suspicion of engaging in the preparation of acts of terrorism/assisting others in acts of preparation under section 5 of the Terrorism Act (2006), Greater Manchester police said.

The man, who is from the Fallowfield area of Manchester, was arrested shortly after arriving back in the UK and remains in custody for questioning.

The arrest is in relation to the bombing at the arena on the night of 22 May 2017 after an Ariana Grande concert in which 22 people were killed.

Simon Barraclough, the senior investigating officer for the investigation, said: “Greater Manchester police remains firmly committed to establishing the truth surrounding the circumstances of the terror attack at the Manchester Arena – whether that is by supporting the ongoing public inquiry or by continuing to pursue leads with regards to the criminal investigation.

“Over four years have passed since the atrocity took place but we are unwavering in our dedication to follow each line of inquiry available so that we can provide all those affected by the events at the arena with the answers they rightly deserve.”

In August 2020, Hashem Abedi was jailed for at least 55 years for helping his older sibling Salman, who detonated the bomb at the arena, to plan the atrocity.

Mr Justice Jeremy Baker told the Old Bailey at the time that Abedi would spend at least 55 years in prison before he could be considered for parole, adding he “may never be released”.

Manchester-born Abedi, who had travelled to Libya before the bombing, was arrested shortly after the attack and extradited to Britain to face trial.

Because he was under the age of 21 at the time of the murders, the law forbids the imposition of a whole life order, a life sentence with no minimum term.

Comments are closed.