公聴会で, Miami-Dade circuit judge Michael Hanzman ordered that the process begin to sell the site of the Champlain Towers South, which could fetch $100m to $110m, according to court records.
Hanzman’s ruling came as part of a series of lawsuits filed in the wake of the 24 June collapse, which left at least 95 people dead and others still missing. A cause has not yet been pinpointed, although there were several previous warnings of major structural damage at the 40-year-old building.
The court-appointed receiver handling finances related to the condo, attorney Michael Goldberg, said the judge wanted the sale to move quickly.
“He wants us to start exploring a potential sale,” Goldberg said of the judge in an email. “He did say he wants the land to be sold and the proceeds to go directly to the victims as soon as possible.”
Goldberg said the decision did not necessarily preclude a buyer from turning at least a portion of the site into a memorial, as some people have advocated. Other survivors want the structure rebuilt so they can move back in.
The judge put the lawsuits on a fast track and authorized Goldberg to begin disbursing Champlain Towers insurance money to the victims and families.
The judge also approved returning $2.4m in deposits that some Champlain condo owners had already made toward an assessment to pay for $15m in planned major repairs.
In nearby Miami Beach, residents of an 82-year-old, two-storey apartment building were ordered to evacuate because of concrete deterioration. The city ordered the evacuation of Devon Apartments on Monday and was giving residents until next Monday to leave the building, a city spokeswoman, Melissa Berthier, said in an email.
The apartment building is about two miles from Champlain Towers South. After the collapse, Miami-Dade’s mayor, Daniella Levine Cava, ordered an audit of all buildings over 40 年. A condominium in nearby North Miami Beach was also ordered evacuated over safety concerns shortly after that audit started.
During a news conference on Tuesday, Levine Cava said the number of people considered missing in the collapse had dwindled as authorities work to identify everyone connected to the building. The mayor said 14 people remain unaccounted for, which includes 10 victims whose bodies have been recovered but not yet identified – leaving potentially four more victims to be found.
“It’s a scientific, methodical process to identify human remains. As we’ve said, this work is becoming more difficult with the passage of time,” Levine Cava said, adding that it is “truly a fluid situation”.
The collapse left officials around the county grappling with concerns about older residential buildings. Manny J Vadillo, an attorney who represents the owners of the Devon Apartments, told WTVJ they have worked “diligently” with the city since deciding in May to demolish the building by December.
He said they have started to “vacate the building in an orderly fashion”, adding that 14 people remained inside. He said the owners were helping residents move.
“My clients are extremely sensitive to safety and, 実際には, visited the property several times since last week to speak with tenants when communications started with the city to ensure tenants were not caught by surprise,” Vadillo said. “Some tenants have been there many years.”
Resident Esmart Romero told WSVN he was not surprised the city deemed the building unsafe.
“If you look at the condition of this apartment, it’s not good,” Romero said. “You get what you pay for.”