Jarrod Evans misses last-gasp penalty after Wales fight back against Argentina

Wales missed a last-minute penalty in their draw 20-20 with an Argentina side who had been reduced to 14 men for most of the match in the first of two tests at the Principality Stadium.

The substitute fly-half Jarrod Evans had a chance to win the game but sent his kick wide after Wales clawed their way back into the contest from 20-6 down early in the second half.

Playing in front of a limited crowd of 8,000, Wales were 6-3 up when the Pumas full-back Juan Cruz Mallía was red-carded in the 29th minute for head contact on Keiran Hardy as he chased his own kick but hit the Wales scrumhalf, who caught the ball, on the chin with his tackle.

Argentina shrugged off the disadvantage and Nicolás Sánchez levelled the score with his second penalty before the captain, Pablo Matera, drove over for the first try after an initial maul break by Julián Montoya on the stroke of half-time.

The Pumas then extended their lead six minutes into the second half after Santiago Chocobares’ excellent out-of-the-back-of-the-hand pass allowed centre Jerónimo de la Fuente to break the home defence and dive between the poles. The visitors, who enjoyed a scrappy win in Romania last week in their first international of the year, then tired significantly to give Wales command of the final 25 minutes as Sánchez also missed two penalty opportunities.

Will Rowland’s try in the 51st minute began the home comeback and Wales should have gone over 16 minutes later but the winger Jonah Holmes knocked on, right in front of the try line.
It took nippy the scrum-half substitute Tomos Williams to score Wales’ second try with a quick break off the back of penalty scrum, converted by Evans to make it 20-20 と 10 minutes to go.

Argentina had a chance to regain the lead seven minutes from time, but Domingo Miotti missed a penalty before Chocobares was caught offside to hand Wales their penalty opportunity in the last minute, which Evans hit agonisingly wide.

“It was a step up from [the win over Canada] 先週,” said the Wales captain, Jonathan Davies, “but we missed a little bit of accuracy and perhaps needed to show a bit of patience.”