Homes left without power by Storm Arwen ‘to be reconnected by Tuesday’

Homes still without power following Storm Arwen will be reconnected by Tuesday at the latest, Boris Johnson has said.

The prime minister said he spoke to the chief executive of Northern Powergrid on Monday, and that he had been told of the new target. But a deadline set on Wednesday last week had already been missed as MPs heard there was something “seriously wrong” at the supplier.

On Wednesday, Downing Street said properties affected by the power cuts caused by Arwen should have supply restored “by the end of the week”, but more than 1,000 remained cut off on Monday.

Earlier ion Monday, the energy minister, Greg Hands, said it was “completely unacceptable” that about 1,600 households were still without power.

Following a call with the boss of Northern Powergrid, Johnson said he “was assured [that affected properties] would be reconnected [by Tuesday] at the latest”.

The PM tweeted: “I also asked for assurances that the energy supply companies were putting in place measures to limit any potential further disruption to households as a result of Storm Barra.”

Northern Powergrid has handed out survival packs consisting of a small blanket, hot-water bottle, mug, pair of socks, glove and hat – but “no logs, candles or batteries”, he added.

Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) said power had been restored to all 135,000 of its affected customers by Sunday.

The Met Office has issued a yellow ice warning from 9pm on Monday, warning of potentially hazardous conditions on roads and pavements in western Scotland and north-west England.

Storm Barra was due to hit on Tuesday, according to the service. While the west of Ireland will receive the worst of the storm, yellow wind weather warnings are in place across England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Yellow snow warnings are also in place in southern and western Scotland.

The Met Office has warned that gale-force winds of 45-50mph on Tuesday could make it more difficult for engineers to reconnect homes, but spokesman Stephen Dixon said that winds would “gradually weaken” as they move east and should have petered out by Thursday.

Comments are closed.