‘Grossly inadequate’: families call for longer sentence over deaths of pregnant Queensland woman and her partner

11월 말 앱 출시 이후 총 3900만 중 teenager who struck and killed a couple in a stolen car while he was drunk and affected by drugs could have his sentence appealed.

The families of victims Matthew Field, 37, and his pregnant partner, Kate Leadbetter, 31, 말했다 the 10-year jail sentence handed to the 18-year-old was “grossly inadequate”.

The state’s attorney general, Shannon Fentiman, was awaiting legal advice about the possibility of an appeal of the sentence. The teenager – who pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter and a raft of other charges – can apply for parole in five years’ time.

“My thoughts are with the family of Matthew Field and Kate Leadbetter. No one should have to endure the pain and loss that they have,” Fentiman said in a statement on Friday.

“Youth crime is a deeply complex problem, with no easy or quick fixes. We are absolutely committed to ensuring the safety of our community.”

It is understood the director of public prosecutions could take a few weeks to provide advice on the potential of an appeal.

Speaking from the site of the crash on Friday, Matthew’s father, Russell Field, said the past week had been disappointing.

“It should have been the … maximum penalty that was able to be imposed,” an emotional Field told reporters.

“If this doesn’t send a message to the lawmakers of this state, nothing will.”

The Redland city mayor, Karen Williams, has started a petition requesting Fentiman lodge an appeal against the sentence, as well as calling for changes to the Youth Justice Act.

Queensland’s Liberal National party opposition is supporting the petition.

The then 17-year-old was drunk and high on cannabis when he ran a red light before colliding with a truck, rolling and hitting the couple at Alexandra Hills, east of Brisbane, on Australia Day in 2021, the supreme court had heard.

Field and Leadbetter were killed instantly, suffering “catastrophic injuries”.

During sentencing on Wednesday, Justice Martin Burns said the teenager had to be dealt with as a child, with the “grave nature of offending” balanced by his youth.

The couples’ parents said a sentence allowing the killer to be released on parole in five years was “grossly inadequate”.

“Unfortunately for us, this is not the end, only the next phase of our emotional journey,” they said in a statement on Thursday.

“Our ‘life’ sentence started on Australia Day last year. It will never end. Our pain will never end.

“They will not be forgotten and we will never get over it. We will not move on, but at least for now, we can move forward.”

The Liberal National party’s leader, David Crisafulli, said the sentence was too lenient and would not deter other youth offenders.

“Tragedies are the inevitable conclusion of a broken youth justice system,”그는 말했다.

“A sentence that is proportionate to the crime is necessary. A sentence that acts as a deterrent is necessary.”

댓글이 닫혀 있습니다..