1) So then, England v Scotland, the oldest/auldest rivalry in international football. Let’s start with some 1977 Home International classicism: a Scotland win, Mick Mills, some Bay City Rollers tartan and those fans swinging off the post at full-time. Or 1961 and England 9-3 Scotland, “nine past [goalkeeper Frank] Haffey” as the old joke went. Of course, there’s Uri Gellar and his Euro 96 penalty bending. And highlights of the match itself, Gazza and all. The last time the teams met in a competitive fixture at Wembley, Scotland won 1-0 in 1999, though it wasn’t enough for them to reach Euro 2000 after the two-leg play-off. How about some Graeme Souness ‘player cam’ during Scotland’s 1-0 Rous Cup win in 1985? Bryan Robson features heavily.
3) On this day in 1990, the great Venus Ebony Starr Williams was born. Here she is, aged 12 and with her sister Serena, on Trans World Sport; here she is, aged 20, winning the first of five Wimbledon singles titles; and here she is explaining how she deals with the press in the context of Naomi Osaka’s position (with bonus Richard Williams telling an interviewer what’s what).
4) Thursday sees the Ascot Gold Cup, first run in 1807, and won four times by the Ballydoyle-trained stayer Yeats. Stradivarius, who won last year’s race in front of empty stands is going for four this week. The race was won in by the Queen’s horse, Estimate, in 2013. In 1970, Precipice Wood wins the Gold Cup for trainer Mrs Rosemary Lomax, the first ever woman trainer to win the race.
5) Canada v Haiti and quite the own goal.
6) ESPN loudhailer Stephen A Smith thoroughly enjoyed Patrik Schick’s goal against Scotland.
1) Valentino Rossi beats Colin McRae at his own rallying game.
2) An equine guest joins the 1997 Criterium International to the accompaniment of Amélie.
3) “This is not really want you want to see.” John Cosmina and Kevin Muscat do battle in 2006 in the flamin’ A-League.
4) Not so cool now. Roberto Mancini comes a cropper over an advertising hoarding.
Spotters’ badges: germit, GrahamClayton, whobroughtoranges