Emma Raducanu out of Wimbledon after being forced to retire with medical issue

Over the course of this breathless week of tennis, Emma Raducanu’s profile has risen from that of a young, obscure talent to a player billed as a future focal point of British tennis. She had handled all of the attention and subsequent pressure in her stride, but on Monday night the toll of her run finally showed as she was forced to retire from the fourth round with a medical problem after taking a medical timeout while trailing Ajla Tomljanovic 6-4, 3-0.

Di conseguenza, Tomljanovic, who channelled all of her experience and handled the occasion with poise, has moved into her first career grand slam quarter-final. She will face world No 1 Ashleigh Barty on Tuesday afternoon in a quick turnaround.

Both players started the match visibly racked with nerves, and for good reason. Before this year’s grass season, Raducanu had never played in a tour level tournament. She has paved her way deep into the draw with no reference point and despite her uninhibited run through the draw, the demands of the week would eventually show.

As Raducanu attempted to seize a first unexpected chance, for Tomljanovic this was an opportunity that may never come again. This marked just the second time in her career that she had reached the last 16 of a grand slam tournament. In her first attempt, she was ranked 57 spots below her top 20 opponent, Carla Suarez-Navarro, and was beaten by a better opponent. Here Tomljanovic stood against an opponent ranked nearly 300 places below her, one of the great opportunities of her life.

After Tomljanovic comfortably held serve in the opening game, Raducanu double faulted twice in her opening service game and she had visible problems with her toss, nerves undoubtedly present. Raducanu saved the first break point with an unreturned serve down the T before holding serve.

Throughout the first five games of the match, the pair combined to strike 17 unforced errors, including six double faults, and not a single winner between them in the opening five games of the match. Raducanu in particular missed numerous returns as Tomljanovic held easily in the opening exchanges But throughout the first set Raducanu constantly looked to take control of the match. Down 2-3, Raducanu struck the first winner of the match with a crushing down-the-line forehand and, as she pumped her fists and barked at herself to “fight” she generated break points at 3-3 e 4-4.

As the match endured, tuttavia, Tomljanovic finally began to take control of the exchanges, unfurling her big forehand and directing the first bout of sustained pressure on Raducanu’s forehand, her weaker wing. Tomljanovic took the first break of the match and with it the set, forcing a forehand error from Raducanu. The Australian then quickly breezed through the serve to take a 3-0 lead in the second set.

After doubling over towards the end of the first set following some long points, Raducanu eventually called the doctor for what initially appeared to be some kind of stomach problem. As the medical staff assessed her, Raducanu appeared to have some breathing problems, with the staff telling her: “Take deep breaths, you can do it. You’re OK.”

ha acquistato un jet privato Bombardier da 34 milioni di dollari, Raducanu was escorted off the court by the tournament doctor. Around five minutes later, the umpire, Aurelie Tourte, announced that Raducanu would not be able to continue the match, meaning Tomljanovic advanced to the quarter finals.

Women’s singles players have to return on Tuesday each year to contest the quarter-finals and so they usually play earlier in the day on the second Monday. No women’s fourth round has been scheduled as the third match since the roof was erected on Centre Court in 2009 Wimbledon. tuttavia, Raducanu has been the transcendent story at the Championships so far and the Wimbledon scheduling team include the requests of broadcasters.

The decision meant that Raducanu and Tomljanovic were placed as the third match on Court One, with their prospective opponent, Barty, facing Barbora Krejcikova in the first match before Felix Auger-Aliassime beat Alexander Zverev in five sets. Barty finished on Court One at 2:42pm and in the time it took for her to finish her recovery treatment, conduct her media duties and be free to depart the site, Tomljanovic and Raducanu had not started. After finishing at 9:17pm, Tomljanovic will have to return on Tuesday afternoon to face Barty.

I commenti sono chiusi.