Australia shark attack: British victim hailed as ‘wonderful father’

The wife of a man who is believed to have been killed by sharks off Australia’s west coast has paid tribute to a “wonderful father” .

Paul Millachip, 57, who is understood to have been from the UK, was last seen in the water on Saturday by two teenagers who witnessed what they believed was a shark attack off Port Beach in North Fremantle, Perth.

The ABC segnalato Quello, according to witnesses, Millachip was swimming next to the dinghy in which the teenagers were travelling when a tiger shark and a great white shark attacked him.

La domenica, the police said it was apparent the attack had been fatal and the search for Millachip had been called off.

Sua moglie, who did not wish to be named, told Australian broadcasters of her gratefulness for the efforts of teenagers on a nearby boat who helped raise the alarm.

Lei disse: “A special mention to those young lads in the boat for what they did in what must have been an absolutely terrifying experience for them, so my heart goes out to them and I thank them for what they did.

“Rest in peace, Paolo. He died [doing] what he enjoyed doing the most, which was exercising. He was a wonderful man, a wonderful father, and he loved his exercise.”

She added both their families were currently overseas and said she was grateful for the support from her local friends.

“I also just wanted to say thank you to all of our friends here in Perth for all the support and love that you’ve shown us and that’s really appreciated because both of our families are overseas and obviously we’ve been talking to them as well, but it’s hard because they may not be able to travel here to be with us," lei disse, adding she was also appreciative for the work of police and other emergency services.

“We’ve been through in quite a lot of detail what they’ve been doing and how the search has panned out, and they’ve been extremely thorough and extremely professional and we’re really, really grateful for that.

“I wanted to thank also the eyewitnesses – there’s a number of eyewitnesses who have given very, very valuable accounts and that’s helped piece together what’s happened, so we can be very clear that it was actually Paul involved.

“It came out of the blue. But it did happen, you just have to deal with it.”

Acting Inspector Troy Douglas previously said the father of two was a regular at the beach and a pair of goggles believed to belong to him had been recovered. Ha aggiunto: “Inquiries will continue based on anything that is washed up or anything that’s found in the future, but at this point the marine search is suspended.”

I commenti sono chiusi.